Propane is naturally colorless and odorless. Manufacturers purposefully added a chemical to propane to give it a very strong pungent odor. This helps alerts customers to propane leaks, which can create a safety hazard. Propane typically smells like rotten eggs or skunk's spray or a dead animal.
The following reasons could be reasons one may have difficulty smelling propane:
- Cold, allergies, sinus congestion, or other medical conditions
- Tobacco, alcohol or drug use
- As people age, their sense of smell becomes less sensitive
- Over exposure can cause your nose to grow tired or desenstized
- Tobacco smoke and or cooking odors can mask the smell of propane
- Propane smell in a far away or rarely used room, i.e. basement or attic
- Odor loss - unintended reduction in propane odor
For all of the above reasons, you should contact Clark Gas & Oil immediately even if the odor is faint!